Cells of interest are scanned for phenotypes by adding a cell suspension to each well pre-loaded with carbon-energy and nitrogen substrates, ions, hormones/cytokines and anti-cancer agents followed by the addition of Biolog's proprietary redox (MA or MB) dye.
In some wells, the cells are stimulated and in other wells inhibited. The generation of energy-rich NADH by the cells reduces the redox dye and brings about a color change which is then read with either a standard microplate reader or Biolog's OmniLog automated incubator-reader.
Important application of PM-M Cell Based Assays include
• Monitor the stability of cell lines used in research eg cell variability, identify undetected phenotypes
• Use PMs as a tool to understand gene function eg compare cell lines with genetic differences
• Perform other comparisons of cell lines in basic research and drug target studies eg normal versus abnormal cells
• Use PMs as a tool to test drug leads eg drug MOA, toxicity, synergy, antagonism
• Improve Bio Processes with PMs eg optimise culture medium for cell growth and product yield
• Perform cell proliferation and chemosensitivity assays, two novel redox dyes available to cover all cell types, many advantages over MTT and Alamar blue
Using Biolog’s Phenotype MicroArray™ Technology, any type of cell can be characterized for metabolically related phenotypes in over 1,000 assays in a simple, rapid, and cost-effective manner. By measuring a cell’s metabolic activity, including responses to a genetic alteration or chemical stimuli, this integrated system of cellular assays, instrumentation, and bioinformatic software reveals unique and insightful information on metabolic pathway activities, and cellular sensitivity to nutrients, hormones, cytokines, anti-cancer agents, and ions